August Newsletter - Race Report

 I am hoping that some sort of newsletter will be a regular part of our communications.  I will commit not to fill your already full mailbox with solicitation and endless pontification.  July was my not so triumphant return to racing.  Training for me since 2016/2017 has been sporadic, inconsistent with no focus.  That changed last November when I committed to myself that I wanted to be a contender at the Masters National Championships. The weekend of July 17 marked my return.  There were lessons learned and good take a ways most of which were “do as I say not as I do” issues.  I’d like to share these with you in hopes that I (and you) don’t repeat them again…anytime soon.

My race report to myself and Coach:

Salisbury Circuit race July 17, 2021

* The race in general

o As hard as I expected.  I went all in several times. Deep enough to hope that the field was slowing before I/group got caught.

o It was hot and windy.  I am used to the heat and do well in the heat so that really isn’t a huge issue.  I did go through 2 water bottles in a 45 minute race.  Most of that was on my back and head.  

o I knew who to watch but didn’t want to just sit in the field and follow them around.  I just don’t race like that.  So, the efforts I did probably burnt the match I needed when the field finally spilt 4 laps to go.

* Take a ways – Positive

o I was able to get on top of the gear and sprint hard at the end.  Last 3 laps just followed wheels and was able to get in a good hard sprint.

o The skills came back quickly.  It took a lap or two but once it did I felt very confident in the corners and moving guys off the wheel I wanted.

* Take a ways – Negative

o I don’t have the repeatability I need to race the way I like to race.  I just can’t sit in a suck a wheel for 45 min and sprint. I knew this going in so not surprising or disappointed that I didn’t make the final selection.

o Stupid things coaches do that they preach to their athletes not to do!!!

* Different pair of shoes. 

* Forgot HRM strap

* Forgot pump

* Though race started at 10:50 when it started at 10:05…at least I got there 2 hours ahead of time (10:50) as I usually do.

* Different helmet

o None of these had an effect on the outcome of the race but I did think about it and it was annoying and frustrating…especially the pump and HRM strap.

The remedy for this has always been “The List”. At one point back in the dark ages before laptops and iPads I had a notebook with my training diary and a list written on the back page. I believe I may have used it a time or two to remind myself not to forget anything but in the decade of racing full time the car rarely was unpacked long enough or completely to forget anything.  As a strategy I adopted the “bring everything” approach to not forgetting stuff.  Fast forward to today and I believe its time to revisit the list.  (Schaefdaddy’s List, link in next newsletter)

      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride with James - February 26th ride report

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Dinner...focus on the rest of the year.